DecoVinyl™ Installation Instructions
DecoVinyl™ MUST BE ROLLED FACE OUT, CUSHION IN. DO NOT CREASE OR FOLD THE VINYL. A VINYL TO VINYL FOLD COULD WRINKLE THE MATERIAL.
DECORATIVE CONCEPTS LUXURIOUS FELT BACKING IS DESIGNED TO ENHANCE THE FEEL UNDERFOOT. IT TYPICALLY LAYS FLAT, WITH NO EDGE CURLING AND STAYS IN PLACE, UNDER MOST FURNITURE. WITH SOME LOOSE LAY AREA RUGS, WE RECOMMEND A NON-SLIP PAD OR TAPE/ADHESIVE BE UTILIZED.
Before you cut this material, STOP and check the following:
1. Quality - is this what you ordered?
2. Color - is this the right color?
3. Pattern - is the pattern correct?
4. Size - is the size correct?
5. Visual Defects?
IF MATERIAL HAS BEEN CUT, FITTED, INSTALLED, OR ROLLED/FOLDED THE WRONG WAY, NO ADJUSTMENTS OR CLAIMS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR ANY OF THE ABOVE REASONS.
Preparing for Installation
I. Preparing Decorative Concepts DecoVinyl™ for Installation
1. Goods must be rolled face out, cushion in. Do not crease fabric. All claims and warranties voided if rolled any other way or if the product has been cut, fitted, or installed.
2. Before cutting, check the following: Product Quality, Color, Style, and Dimensions.
a. Product’s weave may not run parallel to the cut edge. Due to the fabric’s weaving process, some wave, bow, or skew is normal. Tolerance level is 1.5” in either direction.
b. It is normal for some patterns to exhibit light or dark shading. This shading can be more evident at seams where two pieces of the same style meet.
c. Product must be inspected prior to installation. Installation of material implies acceptance. Decorative Concepts is not responsible for removal or reinstallation cost.
3. Product must acclimate on site for 48 hours at 65°F – 85°F prior to installation
4. DecoVinyl™ is 8’6” width and has trimmed edges.
II. Preparing Floor for Installation
1. For outdoor recreational applications, floor must be smooth, clean, flat and dry - no dirt, dust, wax, glossy paint, or any other foreign material. Uneven surfaces should be sanded smooth or filled until the surface is completely flat, clean, and dry. Non-wood floors must be fully cured, structurally sound, and free of curing or parting agents. Glossy or metallic surfaces should be sanded to dull the surface.
2. If floor is made of multiple wooden planks, ensure that the entire floor is level and that there are no gaps or unfilled space between planks. Joints between planks should be level and smooth. DecoVinyl™ looks best when installed on a completely flat surface.
3. Approved Substrates: APA Grade Underlayment Plywood, Association Grade Particleboard, Cork Underlayment, OSB, Concrete, Recycled Rubber
a. Substrate must be smooth, clean, level, dry and free of dust, dirt, grease, oil, paint, curing compounds, incompatible sealers, fire retardant chemicals, release agents, or any other foreign substance that might interfere with a good bond. Subfloor must be smooth and fully adhered. Depending on the type and condition of the subfloor, mechanical treatment may be necessary, such as, mechanical brushing or grinding with coarse sandpaper. It is the sole responsibility of the installer/contractor to ensure that the concrete surface is properly prepared prior to installation. See ASTM F710-11 Standard Practice for Preparing Concrete.
b. It is necessary that the installer inspects the substrate for cracks or low spots. Apply a cement-based patch compound 24 hours prior to installation. The compound is then sanded and vacuum cleaned.
c. Check floor for hydrostatic pressure and high relative humidity readings in the substrate. Moisture levels of concrete must be below 10 lbs. per 1000SF (According to ASTM-1869 Test Method) and 90% RH (Tested in accordance with ASTMF-2170.) Installation
III. Installing Decorative Concepts DecoVinyl™ on Floors
1. Standard practice is to unroll the woven vinyl and let it relax for 24 hours. This method ensures best adhesive transfer.
a. Product should be laid flat and opened for up to 30 minutes before applying to the floor. This method ensures best adhesive transfer. A 100% transfer of adhesive onto the felt backing must be obtained.
2. This product has a felt back and must be installed using an adhesive that works with felt and for the appropriate indoor or outdoor substrate application. For outdoor applications, adhesive should also be nonflammable and freeze-thaw stable. For additional security, Decorative Concepts DecoVinyl™ can also be stapled down to wooden surfaces, applying staples along the edge.
3. Adhesive should be applied with a dry paint roller or trowel to the floor only. If a trowel is used, ensuring proper trowel notch will achieve a 100% transfer of wet adhesive to felt. Check with the preferred adhesive manufacturer for the correct trowel size.
a. Recommended adhesives using 1/16 x 1/16 x 1/16 square notch trowel Taylor Resolute
AAT 290 (Indoor/Outdoor) AAT390 (Recreational Outdoor) ECO 811 (Indoor)
b. Allow adhesive to develop tack before placing the woven vinyl. Do not allow the adhesive to dry or develop a skin. Pull woven vinyl back periodically to check for proper adhesive transfer.
4. Installations for all products installed with adhesive must be rolled for proper glue transfer with 35-50 lb. floor roller. Hand roller can be used for smaller installations.
a. All installations require bubbles and air pockets to be smoothed out with non-sharp edge board from center pushing to the edges to ensure felt has made good contact with the floor. Use scissors or razor knife to trim edges.
b. Please note due to the weaving process, some bow and skew may be expected. Keep these variations in mind when seaming DecoVinyl™.
5. Trim on a flat surface with a straight edge, using a new razor blade for each cut. Always cut product from the face side of the fabric. Dull blades may damage the product or produce rough edges. Clean cuts allow for reduced seam visibility; however, woven vinyl installations typically show seams.
6. For projects requiring a seam in a room setting, mark and snap a straight line on the substrate for the placement of the seam. The number of seams should be reduced to a minimum. Avoid placing seams that are located near entrances.
a. Avoid cross seams and “T” seams if possible
b. Use caution not to crease the material.
c. It is important that the installer spend time working with the seams both in width and length for the best appearance. Lay all the rolls in the same direction before making any cuts
7. Seams need to be aligned with the pattern or texture prior to cutting. A seam can be double cut or straight edge cut. Note: If the pattern is a stripe design do not double cut, cut next to the stripe from the face with a new sharp blade and straight edge. The first drop is laid to the straight-line mark on the floor. Then, the second roll drop, after matching the design, butt to the first drop.
a. Double cut from the face only, with a sharp new blade and a straight edge. Overlap the second strip of DecoVinyl™ with the first strip of DecoVinyl™, double cut, and smooth out firmly. If the material has a pattern, make sure the overlap matches the pattern before cutting. The roll drops are overlapped in a parallel way before cutting. Care must be taken to avoid damaging the subfloor. Excess trimmed edge should be removed from the floor and seam closed within one hour. Repeat for each seam.
8. A seam sealer for vinyl is recommended (Mannington MSS-20 or ECO 2285.)
a. All seams must be cleaned, and any dust and adhesive removed.
b. Use masking tape on both sides of the seam to keep sealer off the face of the woven vinyl.
c. Apply a small bead of seam sealer on the seam.
d. Use a seam roller to flatten edges at seams. Seams will be visible using woven vinyl.
e. Allow seam seal to cure without traffic for a minimum of 24 hours.
9. Clean up any wet adhesive with soapy water. A soft bristle brush can also be used. Blot dry with a clean towel and be sure to wash any other surfaces clean of adhesive. Dried adhesive should be removed with an adhesive remover.
10. Traffic for 24 hours after installation should be limited. The glue and seam sealer should be completely dry and hardened before normal foot traffic.
a. Once the installation has been completed, the surface should be protected, particularly if the area is to be used by other trades during final finishing.
1803 Abutment Road
Dalton, GA 30721